TIM BURTON

Tim Burton directed feature film starring Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins.
Chrissy
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIM BURTON

Postby Chrissy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:58 pm

So here's my question: I know there are a lot of fans of the orginal series that are not particularly fond of the 2012 Tim Burton movie. There also are some fans that did like it. I'd be curious to know...before the Dark Shadows movie, where did you stand on Tim Burton?

Did you like his stuff, and therefore were disappointed by the movie? Or...did you like his stuff, and feel the movie was right on? When you heard Burton was slated to direct, did you throw your hands up in disgust and say, "Ugh! Now the movie is doomed!" Or did you say, "Wow1 Great! This is going to be awesome!" And after the movie came out, did those feelings change?

Basically, how has the Dark Shadows movie influenced your opinion of Tim Burton in general?
Chrissy

Hierophant
Ghost
Ghost

Re: TIM BURTON

Postby Hierophant » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:44 pm

I like Tim Burton in general but had no hope for the movie. It was apparent from the get-go that this was gonna be a Johnny Depp "thing," if not an outright vanity movie.

I would, however, love to have seen Dark Shadows directed by Ingmar Bergman. His black and white style, his emphasis on isolation and alienation, his sense of struggle and redemption, would lend itself to the story of Barnabas.

Chrissy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chrissy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Hierophant wrote:
I would, however, love to have seen Dark Shadows directed by Ingmar Bergman. His black and white style, his emphasis on isolation and alienation, his sense of struggle and redemption, would lend itself to the story of Barnabas.

I would love to have seen that too! I think Bergman would have given the material the proper respect. Of course, the unfortunate truth is that Ingmar Bergman is dead, so he's not directing anything anymore. But, think of it...that would have made such a movie extra cool, if somehow he could come back from beyond the grave, specifically to direct this movie where death is such an overriding theme!
Chrissy

Hierophant
Ghost
Ghost

Postby Hierophant » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:49 am

Somehow I don't think Ingmar Bergman is going to come back from the dead. :)

morerum!
Ghost
Ghost

Postby morerum! » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:26 pm

OK, fair question to one DS fan who rather liked the movie. No, I am not and was not a fan of Tim Burton, and I was worried about his direction. As for Johnny Depp, I hadn't seen enough of his work to have a strong opinion one way or another (although I like the way he lacks vanity about his obvious good looks). His interpretation of Barnabas was not as appealing to me as Frid's, but I could dig it. I enjoyed some of the broad humor in the film but some of the dialogue was more painfully ridiculous than funny: I'm thinking of the "birthing hips" line said about Vicki. No 18th century gentleman would talk that way and it made no sense at all when addressed to a particularly slim woman/actress.

Bangs 'n' Fangs
Zombie
Zombie

Postby Bangs 'n' Fangs » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:32 am

In all honesty, when I heard Burton was going to direct, I wasn't thrilled one bit. I quite enjoy his earlier work (Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood), but these days he seems to be all style and no substance. And that's exactly what DS 2012 is. There's no denying that visually it's stunning, but it's lacking in poignant character moments. I realise that recapturing the magic of the original DS is a near impossible task, but is it asking too much to inject some genuine depth into the characters?

TV Casualty
Phoenix
Phoenix

Postby TV Casualty » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:14 pm

Ed Wood is one of my top films of all time. It's a near perfect homage to such a singular and complicated character, that I still can hardly believe they pulled it off so well. The production design, the cast, the script.

Especially the script. It's written by, I think his name is Larry Karazewski, and his partner. They wrote The People Vs. Larry Flint, I think they may have written American Splendor, the Harvey Pekar movie; they specialize in bio-pics of outsider types.

Without that script, Ed Wood probably would have been horrible. Without that cast, it probably would have been horrible. Without Tim Burton, it might have been alright. (He was the perfect man for the job, I'll give him that.)

My point is that Burton is nothing without a great script. And he hasn't been working with very many good ones for years and years. So I was deeply disappointed when I learned Depp and Burton got their hands on DS, but I maintained hope because of Ed Wood.

Now that it's all over with, I like Burton even less. I'm kinda mad at him. And Johnny used to take great roles, put in tremendous performances, but he seems to be making fewer and fewer good choices.

I wish I had nicer things to say...
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood." - Mark Rainey

Hierophant
Ghost
Ghost

Postby Hierophant » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:35 am

I am somewhat biased because we're both big fans of B-movies, but Ed Wood was a great movie.

DSfan914
Ghost
Ghost

Postby DSfan914 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:07 pm

Trying this post for the 3rd time. Board seems to time out my login before I can finish posting. I'll make it brief this time. Like many of you, I was very disappointed with the 2012 film, but unlike some, I was previously a fan of both Depp and Burton. While I had high hopes for Johnny's portrayal, I was hesitant about Burton. Upon seeing the film, my doubts were realized, and then some. For comparison, I bring your attention to Sleepy Hollow. Here is another Depp/Burton collaboration, and like Dark Shadows, it was quite a departure from the source material. There the similarities end. Sleepy Hollow was genuinely scary. Dark Shadows was played for laughs. The basic formula of horror to romance to humor was completely opposite. Sleepy Hollow also had an element of mystery that was completely absent in Dark Shadows. Also, no overblown "kabuki" makeup, no modern soundtrack, and no sense of excessive grandiosity, as in Collinwood growing from a 40 room mansion to 200 rooms! Sleepy Hollow, despite a fair amount of quirky humor, maintained a sense of foreboding, and in it's look, was highly atmospheric and true to the period. It was because of this film that I felt the best approach to Dark Shadows should have been a multi-film series with the first set entirely in the 18th century, telling the backstory of Barnabas, Josette, and Angelique, ending with the curse and it's aftermath, and Joshua imprisoning Barnabas "for what he thought would be eternity." The 2nd film would then pick up with Barnabas' release, with some characters already fleshed out and an established backstory. In the end, DS2012 was a missed opportunity, one that unfortunately probably killed any possibility of another film or series. Have you seen Sleepy Hollow? If not, watch it. Let us know what you think. _DSfan914

Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Russ Chappell » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:07 pm

DSfan914 wrote:Trying this post for the 3rd time. Board seems to time out my login before I can finish posting.

The forum normally gives you 60 minutes to press the Submit button, once you've started to make a post (unless something funky's going on, on your end). If you need more time, I'd recommend composing your message in a word processor or text editor, and then copy/paste into the box here.

And a word to the wise: you can never tell when the internet gremlins may strike. If you've composed a lengthy, heartfelt message, take my advice and hightlight it and copy it to the clipboard before pressing SUBMIT. That way, it's a breeze to reconstruct if disaster strikes. It's kind of like that backup thing that everyone's always suggesting, and everyone else always ignores. One day, you're gonna get burned. It's inevitable.
Which is worse, ignorance or apathy?
I don't know, and I don't care.

TV Casualty
Phoenix
Phoenix

Postby TV Casualty » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:31 pm

"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood." - Mark Rainey

Chrissy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chrissy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:28 pm

Okay, This video is just HYSTERICAL.
Chrissy

longtimeviewer
Ghost
Ghost

Postby longtimeviewer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:31 am

I had hopes for the new DS movie when first advertised. I respected Burton and Depp both, watched Sleepy Hollow in anticipation of the new film and hoped DS would be similar. But by the time the film opened, I had read and seen enough to know it was not going to be another Sleepy Hollow. I've heard and understand the psychological reasons for Helena Bonham Carter and others trying to distance themselves from this flick: they're ashamed, pure and simple. I was raised to not say anything bad about others, and if I couldn't say anything nice, to say nothing at all. David Selby, Kathryn Leigh Scott, and Lara Parker have all kept mum about this insulting, oderous garbage. I can't be so kind. Obviously the screenwriter plagiarized the worst parts of Parker's The Salem Branch and wrote a script in which the audience cannot care about a single character. They were wantonly reckless to move forward with a script so incompetent.

A simple misfire could be forgiveable. But the insults Carter hurled at the show and fans, and the rudeness as seen at the premiers -- total lack of respect for the four STARS from the show -- I am so furious at the makers of this trash that I will not spend another dollar on a Tim Burton film or any Johnny Depp film or any Helena Bonham Carter film. I would urge the DS Festival to announce publicly that those three will NEVER be welcome at a DS convention.

Hierophant
Ghost
Ghost

Postby Hierophant » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:05 am

Hierophant wrote:I like Tim Burton in general but had no hope for the movie. It was apparent from the get-go that this was gonna be a Johnny Depp "thing," if not an outright vanity movie.

Same here. Liked Burton, didn't really like the movie.

Return to “2012 Movie”