Kathryn Leigh Scott's new book

Discussion of current and upcoming events related to the Dark Shadows community.
Chrissy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kathryn Leigh Scott's new book

Postby Chrissy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Hey everyone! Big news for the end of March is that Kathryn Leigh Scott has written another novel, Down and Out in Beverly Heels, and if you buy it through Amazon and send her your “proof of purchase,” she’ll send you an autographed bookmark! Check out her website, http://www.kathrynleighscott.com/books-2/ for more information.

You can also take a listen to a short and sweet podcast at the Collinsport Historical Society http://www.collinsporthistoricalsociety.com/2013/03/podcast-kathryn-leigh-scott-discusses.html,where KLS talks about her new book and other Dark Shadows topics. She’s a joy to listen to!
Chrissy

longtimeviewer
Ghost
Ghost

Re: Kathryn Leigh Scott's new book

Postby longtimeviewer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:42 am

i just had the extreme pleasure of reading her novel Dark Passages, which was fantastic. I was completely blown away.

TV Casualty
Phoenix
Phoenix

Postby TV Casualty » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:33 pm

longtimeviewer wrote:i just had the extreme pleasure of reading her novel Dark Passages, which was fantastic. I was completely blown away.

It's that good? I'd like to hear more about it if you get some time. Is it Dark Shadowsy?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood." - Mark Rainey

longtimeviewer
Ghost
Ghost

Postby longtimeviewer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:23 am

I was actually kind of dreading reading it, because it looked a little too close to DS to NOT be DS. But I wanted to see if there was anything in it worthwhile. Yes, she surprised me. It is light, a tiny bit frivolous, but it's chock full of the atmosphere of the Playboy Club scene as well as TV soaps. I felt like it really was the production of DS. I think I would have liked to have had a real bio. But this is slightly ficitonalized and it only makes sense that she would trim down the large cast -- there's no Joel Crothers, no Grayson Hall. It's basically Maggie, Vicki, Liz, Roger, Carolyn David, Burke Devlin. Sam Evans is in it, but I don't remember if Thayer David or Laura Collins are in it. Thayer may have been mentioned, as was Mrs. Johnson. Later Barnabas enters, followed by Angelique. None of the later cast members are in it (Quentin, etc.). Kathryn's changed the setting by a few years and altered the way a few things happened for dramatic purposes. And it is exciting. Some years ago I'd heard about production of a DS documentary being shut down because the makers wanted to gossip about one member of the cast, so I kind of expected and wanted to hear more about the REAL gossip. Kathryn didn't gossip enough here for my taste (I count at least five cast members she could have outed but didn't), but there are several bits of true behind-the-scenes gossip presented here that is not mean or hurtful, and it's all framed in the context of a five-day-a-week grind, trying to get the show produced. There's also a few deliberately twisted facts that are fun to speculate about. I read it all in two days and had very few complaints. I came away hoping for a sequel. But in the meantime, I bought Down & Out in Beverly Heels and look forward to getting into that.

TV Casualty
Phoenix
Phoenix

Postby TV Casualty » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks for the review, very informative, I think I'll read it
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood." - Mark Rainey

Chrissy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chrissy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:31 am

I enjoyed Dark Passages very much, probably because of the DS connections, and the overall idea of this all taking place in a somewhat supernatural universe. I didn't completely buy her version of vampirism, but obviously anyone can make up anything they want about how vampires exist and what they do, etc. So while that part was not my favorite, it was okay.

As for Beverly Heels, enjoyed that a lot less. Has anyone else read it? To me, it all seemed too formulaic, like she was just writing what was supposed to be happening, if this was...say...a made for TV movie.

I'd love to hear other thoughts about these books.
Chrissy

Return to “News”