The layout of Collinwood estate

Discussion about the original 1960's soap opera, and spinoff movies, "House of Dark Shadows" and "Night of Dark Shadows."
Sights9
Ghost
Ghost

Re: The layout of Collinwood estate

Postby Sights9 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:26 pm

I'm still confused as to the exact size of the estate, because there seem to be at least 8 buildings on the property, not counting Collinwood itself or the Old House. You've got the caretaker's cottage (the one Chris Jennings lived in), that house that Vicky/Burke wanted to buy but couldn't, Nicholas Blair's house, Rose Cottage, and at least two abandoned shacks (like the one Laura tried to kill David in, and the one that Angelique brought Barnabas to when she was a vampire). Then in the Leviathan plot, Elizabeth lets Jeb live in a cottage on the estate, one different from Chris' Cottage. In 1795 they occasionally mention there being a stable, and in 1897 Judith gives a house on the estate to Gregory Trask to serve as a replacement school when Worthington Hall burns down, although this building might just be one of the aforementioned above.

The show always gave the impression that these buildings were at least a couple hundred yards away from each other, and it is established that the estate includes a large forested section, so large that one can become lost in it. The estate has to be a square mile at least, to hold all of these spread-out buildings and a forest large enough to not find ones way out of easily. As for the abandoned mill and rectory mentioned in 1897, I never assumed that they were on the estate. I guess the mill could be part of the property, but it doesn't seem likely that the Collinses would have a home for a priest(s).

Chrissy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chrissy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:26 pm

I wonder if anyone knows if there is an actual MAP of the Collinwood Estate somewhere? I mean, something that maybe was even fan-based, but created with care to take into account all the hints and clues we get about what the estate must be like. I would love to see something like that! Does anybody know?
Chrissy

TV Casualty
Phoenix
Phoenix

Postby TV Casualty » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:16 am

Patrick McCray is back to work on DS Experiment 2014 and if i understand correctly he is compiling an index of "facts" about the DS universe he is making notes of during his rewatches. I wrote to him and mentioned my hope that he'll watch out for info along the lines of what we're talking about here. Fingers crossed.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood." - Mark Rainey

Photon71
Ghost
Ghost

Postby Photon71 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:50 am

I found this jpeg of a map of Collinsport on the web several years back. The original source is obscure, the image quality is not great, and many details are hard to make out, but it may prove helpful in orienting the major landmarks.

collinsport.jpg
collinsport.jpg (54.63 KiB) Viewed 2213 times

Chrissy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chrissy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:06 pm

This map is great! Well, as you mention, the quality is not the best, but what a great tool for beginning to try to figure it all out! Do you have any idea of the source? Oh, and btw, I love the connotation in the lower right regarding the population of Collinsport. 1,936...does that sound about right? I would love to know who originally put this together.
Chrissy

Photon71
Ghost
Ghost

Postby Photon71 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:10 am

Turns out there is a much clearer version of this map on the Collinsport entry on the Dark Shadows wiki.

http://darkshadows.wikia.com/wiki/Colli ... ortMap.jpg

The cartographer is credited as Jean Graham.

longtimeviewer
Ghost
Ghost

Postby longtimeviewer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:50 am

I could have sworn there was a map with a good layout of the estate in Stephen Mark Rainey's novel, Dark Shadows: Dreams of the Dark. But I just looked and can't find it. Maybe it was on his site or another web site about the time that novel came out.

Photon71
Ghost
Ghost

Postby Photon71 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:07 pm

A detail of the Collinwood estate.

For the purpose of estimating distances, the scale is roughly 1 inch = 500 feet.
Attachments
collinwood.jpg
collinwood.jpg (147.02 KiB) Viewed 2204 times

DreamInRed
Zombie
Zombie

Postby DreamInRed » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:32 pm

DreamInRed wrote:
TV Casualty wrote:I watched an episode recently, somewhere between #200 and #300, I think, and someone mentioned that they had driven from the Old House back to Collinwood. And that got me thinking about questions like these:

Where is the Old House in relation to the Great House?

Are they connected by a road or just foot-paths?

What about Matthew Morgan's cottage?

I'm watching episode 108. Victoria has gone to look for David at the Old House, but is almost hit by an urn that Matthew tried to hit her with. Then, none the wiser, she runs to his cottage and he holds her there. Back in the main house Frank Garner has come in and Elizabeth tells him about sending Victoria to the Old House twenty minutes before, but then she tells him that it "doesn't take more than five minutes to walk down there and back." And it would seem that Matthew's cottage is even closer to the Old House than is the main house because that's where she ran for help and to [try to] use the phone. If it weren't so close it would seem that she would have run back to the main house.

Update: In episode 112 When talking to the sheriff, Victoria says that she ran to Matthew's cottage, rather than the main house, because it was the closest place.

It would seem that it is the writers who bend the time/space continuum. In Episode 387, when Angelique's "spiritual experience" diverts Trask away from her to the Old House, Trask asks Joshua how far it is and he says, "It's on the hill overlooking the ocean about fifteen minutes walk from here."

Five, ten, fifteen––tsk, tsk, these are mere inconsequential details . . .

Torrain
Ghost
Ghost

Postby Torrain » Wed May 24, 2017 1:13 am

longtimevieweer wrote:I could have sworn there was a map with a good bathmate goliath review layout of the estate in Stephen Mark Rainey's novel, Dark Shadows: Dreams of the Dark. But I just looked and can't find it. Maybe it was on his site or another web site about the time that novel came out.

Thanks for the map Photon, it's a little old so I wonder what has changed since then.

Return to “Original Series”