43superimpose

These episodes of Dark Shadows originally aired February 5 – 9, 1968.

• Did she jump or did she fall?
  • Could the WORD “Vampire” have saved Josette’s life?
  • “And if you order now, we’ll send you this second beautiful coffin…absolutely free!!”
  • Ben’s got the hots for the Countess?
  • Brick of the Week
  • Successfully Sympathetic?
  • Who done him wrong…MORE?
  • You and me against the world = Double Trouble
  • Blackmail, anyone? Not so fast!
  • How far will Nathan fall?
  • Barnabas: a sentimentalist and his jewelry
  • Assumptions and Fictions: the stuff Family Legends are made of!
  • “In this house, facts become fantasy very easily”
  • Russ makes literary references, and Chrissy perfects the art of the Picayune
  • The best laid plans…come to nothing, if your intended jumps (or falls) off a cliff

Also…

• Love is Blue, and your kitchen is avocado green
  • Meat & Potatoes

This week, Chrissy’s synopsis is accompanied by Jean Sibelius’ Finlandia.

43jigup4The gig is up

43suki2Alas, poor Suki…we barely knew her

43cryptWho left the lights on?

43neckVampire Alert

43vamp2Bad Hair Day Extraordinaire

Does she fall or does she jump? You decide!

1. nick caputo says:

You guys bring up so many interesting thoughts on Dark Shadows, it’s great to hear the discussion. In regard to Barnabas’ change to a more sympathetic character, I believe the writers and Dan Curtis felt they had to go in that direction. Since Barnabas was originally created to be a temporary villain that would be killed off, they had to find a way to soften his character. Frid became popular quickly, ratings rose, and making a villain the star of a soap opera wasn’t accepted in that period. I don’t know if he could be considered entirely sympathetic at this point in the storyline, but that was the direction they were going in, and Barnabas would be a very different character when he returned to 1968.

You’re doing a terrific job of placing the series in the context of the times, discussing characters and story lines with great insight. I was around watching when DS was first on TV, rushing home from school with my older brother John. While the show, the scripts and the actors falter at times, there is much that still holds interest, and its great to listen to your commentary.

2. Daryl Wor says:

She fell. Or rather stumbled.

3. longtime fan says:

You both commented recently (one or two podcasts ago) that you didn’t like Barnabas talking to Jeremiah’s grave, saying “We used to laugh at the idocy of others.” He did not say they laughed and made fun of Ben Stokes and I NEVER took it that way. This is not the junior high cafeteria where some bully is trying to embarrass other people. That was a tender scene between two lifelong friends, practically brothers, and was meant to show that Jeremiah was Barnabas’ confidante who is now gone and it helped endear Barnabas to the viewer. To that extent it worked. The ONLY logical assumption that should be made was that Barnabas and Jeremiah would laugh to themselves privately about absurd people — fools like Trask and Abigail — not mocking the servants, the poor, or the handicapped. It bothers me that you would misunderstand and choose to pick on Barnabas that way. He’s done a lot of mean things, but that wasn’t one of them.

• russ says:

>shrug< Sorry, I disagree. That's not the ONLY logical assumption. There's no reason to think they were laughing at people like Trask or Abigail. And you're using a straw man; no one contended they were mocking the poor and the handicapped, just that they were mocking people they considered "idiots." I didn't find it endearing at all. If that was the writers' intent, they bungled it terribly. I empathized fine with Barnabas, UNTIL HE SAID THAT, and then I lost all respect for him. But that's just me.

4. longtime fan says:

She stumbled, but jumped. A large part of that thought comes from the legend saying she jumped. Where did the legend originate? Someone says it enough, so it becomes legend. Somebody may have written it in a letter 20 years later or 40 years later and it becomes “fact.” Simple as that.

As a kid I never liked the fact she sort of ran past the camera rather than being seen jumping a foot or two. It was a scene of such major importance and that sort of spoiled it for me, reminding me how low budget it was. Much later in the show they had a brief flashback that showed her teetering on the small cliff, saying something like, “Stay back! I’ll jump, I swear I will!” It had a scratchy film clip of the ocean waves. I don’t want to spoil anything, but there were also other cliff scenes in the show that made the cliff seem higher and something to actually leap from.

• russ says:

“Somebody may have written it in a letter 20 years later or 40 years later and it becomes “fact.” Simple as that.”

That was kind of our point, though. Long before it became “fact,” someone should have questioned it. “How could they have known she jumped, since there were no witnesses?” And they couldn’t have known. The first person who said it had to be making it up, for whatever reason.