lettera2

These episodes of Dark Shadows originally aired January 8-12, 1968.

• A Dark Shadows Love Story: Love means never having to say, “My wife the witch is going to kill you.”
  • The Collins that Couldn’t Shoot Straight
  • The “Old Flame” OVER the fireplace
  • Being from the future is no defense against a charge of witchcraft
  • Pre-teen Chrissy remembers Peter Bradford. Pre-teen Russ remembers Kate Jackson
  • Opening narration: Déjà vu…or déjà snooze?
  • Is Nathan in love with Millicent…or her money?
  • The Devil in the Details: It all turns on a chip in a glass

Also…

• The Great Mini Skirt Scourge
  • Like us on Facebook!

39montageThis week’s acting award goes to Jonathan Frid

attack3Bitten!!

creditSame bat-time, same bat-channel!

pair1Romance in the Garden

oughtaWhy, I OUGHTA…

1. Dave Brannon says:

Wow! Have I been missing out!! Now that I have a little free time I can start catching up…the last podcast that I had downloaded was number 32. Am downloading 33 thru 39 at this time.

Actually started back watching the videos a couple of days ago, beginning with dvd collection 17, so all that I have is sets 18, 19, and 20, and I will have FINALLY watched the entire series. Don’t worry…I won’t give anything away!

Hope everyone has a great 4th of July weekend!

Dave

2. nick caputo says:

I don’t think Barnabas was a good liar (at least at this point) and couldn’t control his emotions when it came to Angelique, so that scene worked for me.

3. nick caputo says:

There is a layer of sympathy for Angelique, although as you noted, she is very much like a child…albeit one with supernatural powers. It’s also true that Barnabas treated her pretty badly after their affair.

It’s also true that Barnabas treated her pretty badly after their affair.

Hello! Understatement of the YEAR. There’s something to be said for “You get what you pay for…”

4. nick caputo says:

I think Dan Curtis or other executive at ABC were worried that the audience would not understand why the actors were playing different parts and insisted on the recurring voice over. They were probably afraid of confusing their younger viewers. This type of change was very offbeat for a daytime program and rare on television, except science fiction programs. It never really bothered me, but I see your point.

5. longtime viewer says:

re: lawyers
    There were very few law schools. Even as late as 1900 many men would volunteer to clerk for a practicing lawyer or “read law” in an attorney’s office for a year or so if he had some law books on his shelves. Sort of like home study. Then they were admitted to practice. There was no uniformity, no guaranteed standards of any kind.

re: repetitious daily voiceover
    That’s just part of the recap, to tell a new viewer what’s going on. There were no VCRs, no DVDs, no RERUNS. If you missed a show, you missed it forever. We kids made a point to be parked in front of the TV at that time. But if my mother came down to the basement where we were watching, the voiceover was a succinct update. Even if she’d heard the voiceover a month before, this would remind her the setting is still in the past. The voiceovers didn’t bother us. I think it was necessary for a casual or new viewer. The things that did bug us were the question of whether time was indeed suspended or whether it was moving forward; whether this was all in Vicki’s mind or if she was physically in the past (we quickly forgot about her switching places with Phyllis Wick) and why unrelated people like Joe and Maggie had counterparts in the past. If it was all in her mind, it would have made more sense.

There was a popular commercial at the time (which Jim Pierson says is apparently lost) which showed Vicki running from the house, across the terrace, across the lawn, toward the camera. It was silent as she ran but you could hear her running through the grass. Then she gets to the cliff and screams. Then they played the opening theme music with the “waves crashing on a lonely shore.” Sometimes over the music (can’t remember if always) they played that same repetitious voiceover (I remember one specifically by Alexandra if not always by her). So they did run it in the ground to let the public know what was going on with Dark Shadows. But many times they played that commercial right before Dark Shadows started, so it was like SO repetitious to us, but yet we understood why. I think this was a commercial they put together probably in the beginning of the show (hence the early publicity stills of her running from the house, and also bubblegum card #66, which looks kind of like Chroma-key).

6. nick caputo says:

I agree with longtime viewer: the 60’s were a different period and if you missed a show (particularly a soap opera) you never expected to see it again. I particularly recall my older brother John chiding me one day because I was more interested in reading the latest Spider-Man or Hulk comic instead of watching DS. He explained “You’ll always have the comics, but this show won’t be on again!” Boy, do I remind him of that! But who would have guessed that the shows would be available in the future and we’d have technology to watch them anytime we’d like. Nothing we imagined some (gulp!) 46 years ago!

• russ says:

I understand that they had to account for people who missed an episode, or maybe were on vacation for a week, but that’s not what we’re talking about. They were still using that opening tag, word for word, almost right up until the end of the storyline, and by then, you would have had to miss four months of episodes, not to know that we were in 1795, or how we got there. Watching these episodes in 1968, I would have gotten tired of hearing that narrative by month #3.