These episodes of Dark Shadows originally aired November 13-17, 1967.

In this installment of the Drawing Room:

• Hoffman is NOT afraid
  • Fun Use of the Phone
  • Alpha Male Part II: the Honorable Guy
  • Sarah’s Swan Song
  • If there’s no body….are they dead?
  • David’s right about EVERYTHING….oh…really?
  • Does time keep on slipping into the future…or into the past?
  • Tony Peterson doesn’t know what he’s stepped in
  • Toy Boats and Seasick-o-Vision (No, not at the same time)
  • Brutal Chronology: Clocks amok!

AND

• Our first contest! Enter and win a fabulous prize! (Note: Russ misspoke, when he said the contest ends Wednesday, December 7. Well, it turns out December 7 is a Friday, so the contest actually ends Friday, December 7!)

Really small…in a really big room

Alpha Male 2.0 vs. Damsel in Distress

Hoffman realizes too late she might have pushed Barnabas too far

1. Sharon Baker says:

GOOD again to be back .Julia has to pull herself together somehow or she will end up in some hospital as suggested by Barnabas it was a surprise to hear her admit that David is right about everything but NO ONE questions it..asks about it.seems to me the whole thing is one big rush to start that PAST story line of 1795 which seems the goal of it all..Sarah appearing t0 BARNABAS is quite dramatic but doesn’t change anything.. we’ll see what happens in the past..sufficiet to say the NETFLEX where I had been watching up to this point STOPS here.right here ..as this part begins so the ONLY other route it the public library and who knows?? do the best I can though..

2. Sharon Baker says:

somehow this venture into the past is supposed to EXPLAIN it all ..and i well know that once we are returned to where this started things will NOT be the same..it won’t be..all this so far leads to the venture now into the past 1795 story but..after that they create a new start.,we wont see dr woodard, or Burke Devlin etc any more ..different characters to come in and story lines…so it all changes now,. sorry to say I GOTTA wait for the library public library I dont own the dvd’s nor have the funds for it all so whatever.

• longtime fan says:

hulu is now showing the Barnabas Collins episodes almost to the end of 1795 — absolutely free, with no registration required. These things change with little notice, but for now ABSOLUTELY FREE

3. Mariam says:

Yipee! We’re here! Let’s hope the 18th century Dark Shadows is as neat as I remember (I’m sure it’s not, but never mind). Congratulations on the confluence of calendar: that you have posted your podcast on the 45th anniversary of this dramatic moment in Dark Shadows history. To answer a couple of your questions: Yes, I do remember being very surprised at the result of the séance; I don’t think anybody saw it coming. And no, I don’t think there is much continuity at all when they return to the 20th century. I recall one of the very first things that happens when they return (I won’t be a spoiler and say any more), and it does begin a whole new storyline with new characters.

I don’t recall at all this new storyline of which you speak. Looking forward to it! But lots of 1795 to get through first!

4. Jeff in the Bronx says:

Since I love Julia’s hysterics I think the Monday episode is so much fun!

…and the Friday is episode is just a really terrific episode.

Here’s a fun piece of trivia about the Friday episode:

The five actors who appeared in the most number of episodes are #1 Jonathan Frid, #2 Grayson Hall, #3 Nancy Barrett, #4 Joan Bennett, and #5 Alexandra Moltke. The only two episodes to feature all five of them are this episode and then the one when we return back to the present.

As an added treat, #6 is Louis Edmonds and he both those episodes too (which is especially fun since most episodes around this time have no more than five actors).

So that episode is a rare glimpse at the core cast… (and Phyllis Wick)!

(If you’re curious, #7 is Kathryn Leigh Scott, #8 is David Selby, #9 is David Henesy, and #10 is Lara Parker.)

I’m loving the podcast. Keep up the good work!

Do you think you might do a “This week in 1795” segment?

What a good bit of trivia about there only being two times the most used actors appeared together! I never even thought to look for stuff like that.

As for “This week in 1795,” we will have a little something like that in the next episode.

5. I’ve always wondered how it would have played out if Gerringer had stayed with the show as Dr. Woodard during the period when Woodard suspects Barnabas until his death and appearances as a ghost. Gerringer was so mild-mannered TV doctor and Turgeon plays the role as almost a gumshoe.

I miss Robert Gerringer as Dr. Woodard! He was a good character, a dose of sanity and reason to balance out the “off the wall” aspects of some of the other residents of Collinwood. And I agree—much preferred Gerringer’s portrayal over Turgeon’s.

6. Mark says:

Good show as always. Is the new wallpaper how the website looks when it is in a flashback?

7. nick caputo says:

Gerringer was really good in the role of Dr. Woodard, and the only reason he didn’t play out his last episodes was because of a union strike and he would not cross the picket lines. It would have been interesting to see how he would have played the final scenes.

I think the writers meant for Sarah’s appearance to be a turning point in the character of Barnabas. His coldly dismissing Julia was entirely in character; he had just shown his vulnerability by crying in front of Julia. He was pained by his encounter but had to maintain control. It would also make sense for any alteration in his personality to be gradual. This was all a set-up to go back into the past and explain how Barnabas became a vampire. The writers were feeling their way around, but fashioning a sympathetic vampire, one that was essential to the series, was a balancing act that took time to work out.

Ah, time travel. This was not your typical soap opera! I thought it was very imaginative to not only go back in time, but use the same characters. It gave the show an ensemble feel and was an unusual move.

What do you think the writers were trying to do when they killed Burke off in a plane crash, off screen? Was Barnabas somehow involved in his death? I always got the feeling he was responsible, and there were a few scenes where it looked like he knew something, but nothing was ever directly inferred. Or is it just me?

“This was not your typical soap opera!” Indeed!

As for usng the same actors, yes, that really does promote a feeling of an ensemble cast. And as I believe Russ notes in the podcast, it makes sense financially to not have to go out and hire a whole new bunch of actors. So it works on many levels…except when Vicki keeps noticing that everyone in the past looks like someone from the present. Geez! I’ll just never figureout why they insisted on doing that.

As for whether or not Barnabas was involved in Burke’s death…hmmm…now that you mention it, it sure was awfully convenient for Barnabas to suddenly have Burke out of the picture. And I wouldn’t put something like this past Barnabas. Anything’s possible.

• nick caputo says:

To me Frid played it like he knew a lot more about Burke’s “plane crash” then he was saying. The only problem is that I could never come up with a plausible explanation for how Barnabas could have been involved. He certainly couldn’t have caused the plane to crash. Or did Burke survive and he killed him afterward? It was a poor way to write off a major character though, especially since their rivalry over Vicky was such an important plot element.

As far as the past and the constant mention of how everyone looked familiar. I think Dan Curtis or the writers were really worried that the audience would get confused and had to constantly reinforce and explain what was happening. That’s why the voice over in the openings spent so much time explaining the time travel bit. Today we may be used to such fantastic events, but not so much in 1967.