Maggie at the Window

DISCLAIMER: If you choose to listen to our podcasts from the very beginning, please be warned: our production qualities here are just terrible in comparison to our latest episodes. Please don’t be put off! We get better, we promise! 🙂

These episodes of Dark Shadows originally aired June 5 – 9, 1967.

• Josette? Maggie! Josette? Maggie! (Only her hairdresser knows for sure…)
  • The Pipe, the Key & the Pick: the Tokens of Dark Shadows
  • Never fear! Barney Fife is here! (Huh?)
  • Sam Evans knows Fashion!
  • Did you get your permission slip signed? We’re taking a Field Trip to the Secret Room in the Basement!

But wait! There’s more!

• “We’ve got a reeeeeallly big shoe this week!” (All right? ‘salright!)
  • “It’s a wrap!” (And we don’t mean the chicken-avocado-cranberry-sandwich-with-sprouts kind…)

Check out this interview with Kathryn Leigh Scott at nj.com!

You're missing a great picture here
Pushing the limits of daytime TV?

You're missing a great picture here
Does it get any more gothic than this?

1. Dave says:

Thank you for posting podcast number 8…I really enjoyed it!

Regarding why Barnabas has control over Willie, I seem to remember that he was bitten by Barnabas at some point, which is probably why Willie is unable to leave or take any action against the vampire.

By the way…when does Willie sleep? During the day he has to guard the coffin…and at night, Barnabas has him slaving away at all manner of tasks, etc.

Regarding the competence of the Sheriff…back in the “Beginning Series”, Burke Devlin, Roger Collins & Mrs. Johnson all state their opinions of how little confidence they have in local law enforcement. As a matter of fact, during the storyline where Matthew is holding Vickie captive, Mrs. Johnson tells the Sheriff that the only thing the Sheriff can hear is the lunch whistle. (With respect to his girth)

Regarding the Barnabas storyline…I listened to a cast interview on one of the dvd collections the other day that related about how Jonathan Frid received tons of fan mail from women who wanted to “throw” themselves at him after he appeared on the series.

Regarding why you may have more male listeners than female…well, the reasons may be Vickie, Maggie, Carolyn, Angelique, Roxanne, Kate Jackson, etc… (smile)

Thanks again for another great podcast…hope everyone has a great week!

Dave

Come to think of it, I do remember several snide comments about the sheriff…or, as he was called in the earliest episodes, “the Constable.” Do you know where we could find that Mrs. Johnson bit about only hearing the lunch whistle? We might like to use something like that in the show!

Now, I do have something to say about your comment on why we have more male listeners….and you go on to list all the female characters. Oooookay…but what about Barnabas, who got all the fan mail? He never did anything for me, but apparently some women were quite taken by him! Wonder why they have not found our podcast…? And besides Barnabas, what about Quentin? He had quite a few fans as well! And let’s not forget Jeff Clark/Peter Bradford, and even young David had his share of admirers (once he reaches puberty!). The fact is, there was no lack of attractive talent on Dark Shadows. Maybe it’s just that listening to podcasts is more of a guy type of thing to do? Could that be??

2. Dave says:

That comment is from volume 4, cd #2, episode 121 of The Beginning series (1966). It is found about 1/3 to 1/2 through the episode.

I just went back through the episode and here is a summary of that scene:

The sheriff arrives and Mrs. Johnson makes a few comments about his abilities/capabilies (or lack thereof). The sheriff then goes into the drawing room to speak with Mrs. Stoddard. Meanwhile, Mrs. Johnson makes the comment to David to the effect that the only clue that the sheriff knows is “when the cannery whistle blows for lunch…”

Later, as the sheriff is getting ready to leave, David asks the sheriff …”What does it mean when the cannery whistle blows?” Of course the sheriff is totally dumfounded.

Hope that helps!

Dave

3. Mariam says:

Thanks for the TV memories: Russ’s failure to recognize the theme song of his own correct answer was very funny, and I can imagine Chrissy bopping him over the head. As for me, I was indeed fond of “It’s About Time,” but 1960’s television shows sure did have some silly premises! I especially liked it when the astronauts managed to bring their “cave family”—who spoke English, of course—back to the present, and once left alone, the family covered the kitchen cabinets with cave paintings.

4. Emily says:

Hey! Just wanted to personally thank you for this wonderful podcast! I’m a very isolated fan, and this is the kind of conversation I’ve been yearning for since I first got hooked. A little shout out from a female fan! Funnily enough I haven’t met any other fans in person, so I really don’t know just what the typical make-up of fans is like.
    As a young fan, I must say I love hearing from the older generations. I am a young person who really doesn’t get along with the fans my age I’ve encountered online, as they are mainly Depp-shadowers. I’m in the weird position of having gotten chronically ill and discovering the series accidentally just one year before the film was even announced! Being a tom-boy and monster movie fan I was really a little bummed to find how few male fans seem to be out there from what I’ve seen! I certainly don’t think this is just a ‘girl’ thing, and I think many people wrongfully write it off as a typical soap. I’ve tried introducing a few people to the series, without any luck, and so I’ve never gotten many other views on the show. God it would be lovely to meet a male fan! I think you two have really lucked-out in your shared love for this series, I’ve had a very hard time finding others who connect with the show as I do. It really has become an important part of my life, maybe watching all of it while having chronic migraines, not being able to take the day-light, having constant blood tests, and bad reactions to medication, and being alone so often had a hand in this(my family would often tease me about it, poke fun at me as being a vampire poser, and believe me if I heard anyone else with this experience I would find it corny too!). But really having that be a blunt inescapable reality for an entire year, and having this secondhand pirated box set (the only way you could find the whole series at the time) as my only companion during this time, it tied me very deeply to the characters and events, as outlandish as it was, it was close to home. And it gave me within that context the laughs of the flubs, and the community sense of the actors.
    Very long comment, I do apologies, but I’m just so happy to have this podcast, and the great conversation on all this shows little charms.

Hi, Emily! I’m glad you found our podcast and no need to apologize for long comments! We’re finding that Dark Shadows fans come in all shapes and szes — young, old, male, female—and it’s always amazing to hear the stories of how people find the series, even after all these years.

I hope your migraines are something you will be able to overcome, but in the meantime, I know it can be comforting to have something like a favorite TV show to help you get through the rough times. With something like DS, that you visit every day, it’s so easy to get attached to the characters, especially when their lives are so tumultuous!

Thanks also for your other comment heartily endorsing the idea of a forum. We have a few projects on the table right now and are hoping this is one we can get up and running shortly.

5. longtimeviewer says:

I thoroughly enjoyed hearing her life story. Hope she can get a handle on her chronic illness & best wishes.