DISCLAIMER: If you choose to listen to our podcasts from the very beginning, please be warned: our production qualities here are just terrible in comparison to our latest episodes. Please don’t be put off! We get better, we promise! 🙂

These episodes originally aired May 22 – 26, 1967.

• Vicki’s Hunch…or just a lot of hooey?
  • Josette’s Theme: “Nice tune…but there’s no beat, and you can’t really dance to it.”
  • Vicki or Maggie…who is your favorite Damsel in Distress?
  • David’s Wild Flights of Fantasy
  • Will Jason really “go all the way”?
  • That Barnabas Collins! He’s got an excuse for everything!

Also:

• The Monkees…and Lawrence Welk
  • Carolyn’s “dark shadowy” secret?

Some visual aids for this podcast:

The “Turnback”

What the heck is that in the hospital hallway?

Check out our Twitter feed: #darkshadowspod

Production Note: Thanks to college football, and our Netflix queue, we’re moving to a bi-weekly schedule…more or less…

1. Dave says:

I’m wondering if that piece of equipment in the hallway might be an old microfiche reader from days gone by.

2. Rick Roberts says:

Oh..was this a serious question? I assume it is a teleprompter.

Rick

I don’t know much about TV equipment, but my impression was that it was a teleprompter…you know, that thing that always has the actors’ eyes darting off to the left or right. 😉

• russ says:

Nah. We knew what it was. It was a camera with a teleprompter attached. They didn’t really need a teleprompter on that particular camera, since Burke didn’t have any lines until after he passed the camera.

This was just an example of a joke that fell flat. I was originally going to say something like, “Yikes! Some kind of robot monster is chasing Burke down the hallway!” but the boss overruled me. 😉

3. Ell says:

Just a quick note to let you know how much I’ve been enjoying your podcasts. I’m one of the baby boomer crowd who rushed home from school to watch “Dark Shadows” — or, at least, did so until some after school activities took precedence. Alas, when I started watching again, I found DS had been cancelled!

Lately, with the help of Netflix and the county library, I’ve been watching DS from episode one and have reached #816. Most of this has been new material for me, because I didn’t start watching until ’69. I stumbled upon your podcasts just recently, and am finding them great fun.

In regards to abduction plot: There’s no particular reason why it should be a “Vicki” story line. If memory serves, Kathryn Leigh Scott played the ghost of Josette, so her character, Maggie, would be the natural choice for a Josette surrogate.

I’m looking forward to listening to the rest of your commentaries. Keep up the good work!

Congratulations on having such a fabulous county library! Dark Shadows is not the kind of material most libraries are likely to carry, I’m sure!

4. russ says:

Hi, Ell.

Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement. It’s great to hear from new listeners, and get their insights on the series.

About that abduction plot, while it’s true that Kathryn Leigh Scott eventually plays Josette (and thus, her ghost), I believe those appearances happened after Maggie’s abduction. Prior to that, Josette’s ghost was played by Rosemary McNamara. So…while they may in fact never have intended for Vicky to play the damsel in distress, I don’t think we can rule it out, based on what we know so far.

Keep tuning in–there’s loads of fun ahead.

• Ell says:

We’ll probably never know for sure. It does seem to me that Victoria Winters is a closer match to the portrait than Maggie Evans.

According to what I’ve found online (and the accuracy of the info is open to question) KLS played the ghost in 70 (first appearance, I think), 102, and provided the voice in 126. McNamara was in 126 (except voice), 149, 165, and 184. (My sources were Dark Shadows Wiki and IMDB — neither one infallible!)

In any case, they may have wanted to spread the victimization around — why should Vicki have all the, um, fun?